Hopefully the third time's the charm

In both 1984 and in 2003, the Cubs came within six outs of going to the World Series.

With yesterday's 8-4 victory over the Dodgers in Game 5 of the NLCS, the Cubs, for the third time in my life, are one game away from breaking the Curse of the Billy Goat.

Here's hoping for a different outcome this time. And yes, I'll be especially nervous during the seventh inning of Game 6 Saturday,

The game (or games) remaining in the NLCS will be played at Wrigley Field. NOBODY go after any foul balls! Of course, with Clayton Kershaw on the mound, even at home the Cubs will have to struggle to avoid a Game Seven Sunday.

Here's hoping they succeed, though. This is something I've waited for all my life, and more drama is something I just don't need.

ADDENDUM: My nephew Tim- who was too young to have remembered this- pointed out to me that the Cubs were actually eight outs away when Leon Duram's Gatorade-soaked glove malfunctioned against San Diego back in 1984.

Maybe we're making progress after all.

ADDENDUM  II: Actually, he WAS old enough to remember. I had forgotten that too.

Comments