I couldn't have been more wrong about this election

It's over. Hillary has called Donald Trump and conceded.

I had given the American people too much credit, just as I had given the Republican rank-and-file too much credit.

Hillary Clinton will never be president. That is good. If Trump keeps his word, the Supreme Court and the Constitution will likely be saved. That, too, is good.

But a price has been paid. Bigotry and hate have been validated, ignorance has triumphed, a man who is categorically unfit to be president has been placed in that office, and people all over America and the world are living tonight in fear.

America is, quite rightly, the laughingstock of the world. And tonight, for the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be an American.

The American people, as Mike Pence has just said, have spoken. They will sorely regret their decision in the months and years to come.

And I am going to bed. I will be able to sleep well tonight.

Most of my countrymen should not be.

Comments