It isn't just Harold Camping that Harold Camping is embarrassing


Anybody tempted to doubt the damage Family Radio's Harold Camping and those who believe this failed prophet's apparently defective Secret Bible Decoder Ring (Camping predicted the end of the world in 1994, and was obviously wrong- thereby disqualifying himself from further credence according to the test of Deuteronomy 18:21-22) need only read this.

On May 22, when Camping and his followers are confronted by the fact that they remain unraptured, they won't be the only ones held up to public humiliation. So will all Christians. And so will Jesus.

I wonder what part of "no one knows the day or the hour" he doesn't understand. For that matter, given his Christian Reformed background, I wonder how Camping misses the point that the "rapture" and the related concept of an earthly millenial reign of Christ prior to the Final Judgement are utterly unbiblical in the first place. The "millenium" of Revelation 20 is the Age of the Church; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 describes the return of Christ for the Final Judgement.

Comments

KenTexts said…
I remember when the Jim and Tammy Faye Bak(k?)er scandal blew up. Then Falwell took over their outfit, claiming that this was the greatest catastrophe every to hit Christianity. I remember watching that press conference and thinking, "Please, spare me the melodrama...." Falwell was typical of many American Christians who think the whole world--and all of Christianity--rotates around the latest news from the USA. It's a whole lot of a bigger world than America, and most of the people in the world never heard of Harold Camping, or of his predictions, just as they never heard of the Bakers, and guess what - "Christianity", the Gospel, the Kingdom goes on, touching lives one by one. Get some perspective, some historical distance, some sense of proportion. I, for one, am not embarrassed by Camping. You have to feel some sense of connection with somebody to be embarrassed by association. I don't.
KenTexts said…
One BIG reason I feel no association or spiritual kinship in the least with Harold Camping is that he is, very simply, a man without a gospel. He literally has NO answer to give anyone who asks, "How can I be saved?" All he can say, as I've heard him do, is, "I don't know!" IMAGINE that - a man who pretends to be a servant of the Gospel, who says "I don't know!" to a question like that. The blogger here objected to Camping's stand on the Millenium. That's peanuts compared to Camping's outright treason against the kerygma, the core and essence of the Gospel message - a message with substance, a summons and a genuine hope (not to be disgraced by even comparing it with Camping's paltry, pathetic substitute: "I hope God will save me").
But sadly, Ken, Jesus will be held up to ridicule because of Camping's foolishness. And in that sense, it's an embarassment to all of us who are a part of His Body.
KenTexts said…
Yes, I understand what you mean, and agree, of course. All the same, the ultimate Vindication of Truth in Jesus is incomparably greater than this "blip" in the tide of world events. By the way, I notice that Camping's outfit is still accepting financial donations, three days out from "the end". What an utter farce!!! I can't wait to see what happens to Family Radio as of May 22nd.