A night I've waited for all my life

I'm emotionally exhausted right now. The heartbreaks of 1969, 1984, 2003, 2007 and 2008 have been redeemed. The Cubs are going to the World Series.

Rather than trying to express how I feel I'll let the late Steve Goodman do it for me. Steve was the author, among others, of the song "City of New Orleans," recorded by Arlo Guthrie and Johnny Cash. But here are my two favorite Goodman songs.

Steve, a lifelong Cub fan, died of leukemia days before the Cubs won the first championship of any kind they'd won in either of our lives, the division title in 1984. The first song, "Go, Cubs, Go," is appropriately triumphant for the night the Cubs have won their first pennant in 71 years. The second- especially given Steve's own story and how closely it tallies with the lyrics- is bittersweet at best, and probably more bitter than sweet, especially since he performs it himself.

But the years in the wilderness deserve to be acknowledged one last time, too, as we celebrate their long-overdue departure.





So lets go, Cubs! Beat Cleveland!

Comments