Good vs. evil

While I'm no great fan of the Houston Astros, my wife is an old friend of their manager, Phil Garner. And as a Cubs fan, of course, I root against the St. Louis Cardinals as a matter of principle. So I was disappointed by the outcome of the NLCS- though obviously not as disappointed as I was last year!

I am confident that in next year's NLCS I will have a chance for my Cubs- relativley injury free, and making use of the financial wherewithal the Cards don't have (St. Louis won't even be able to re-sign their own free agents!) to shore up their bullpen and add a legitimate leadoff man- to disappoint me fully once again.

In the meantime, while taking comfort from the Cardinal's sad financial situation (which will mean the loss of key free agents over the summer), lack of a farm system, and unlikely prospects for having two such seasons in a row without a bullpen, the immediate task will be to root our spiritual cousins, the Boston Red Sox, home to victory over those noxious ruddy birds in the World Series.

Seldom has a World Series been quite so obvious a struggle between Good and Evil. So Go BoSox!

Comments