We stood in bed

Well, my wife and I got smart and didn't stand out there in the cold to watch President Bush take the oath for his second term. Both of us had the beginnings of chest colds, and we stayed in bed for the day rather than aggravate them.

Nevertheless, thanks to the office of Rep. Leonard Boswell (D-Ia), my congressman from back in Des Moines, for providing us with excellent tickets. I didn't mention my party affiliation, of course, but they must have guessed from the very fact that I made the request- and they handled my request with admirable courtesy, professionalism and tact.

As the date approaches for my move back to Des Moines, I'll miss the excitement of the Nation's Capital- as well as a wonderful congregation, Immanuel Lutheran Church of Alexandria, Virginia. The congregation is orthodox, erudite, liturgically and theologically sophisticated, and properly appreciative of their top-drawer young pastor, the Rev. Christopher Esget.

But I have to admit missing the Midwest. And my wife. Her visit this past week has reminded me just how much, even if we didn't make it down to the Hill for what an ex-Congressional staffer at church calls "the Swearamony."

Comments