Only a ghost of The Phantom

Many years ago, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth and I was a seminary student, my then-girlfriend took me on a bus tour back to Sweet Home Chicago to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera at the Auditorium Theatre.

At the time, I wasn't all that enthusiastic. But when I saw the show, I fell in love. I've seen it three times since then here in Des Moines. I plan to see it again as often as it's produced wherever I happen to be living at the time.

I was looking forward to the movie version of The Phantom. I followed every story and rumor about the production, agreeing with most Phantomphiles that it would be a crime against nature if Sir Michael Crawford wasn't the male lead (the divorce settlement of Lord Andrew and Sarah Brightman involved an agreement on her part never to play Christine Daae in the musical again, so that was out; I hoped they'd find an adequate Christine somewhere).

I was disappointed in the extreme to read the bad reviews of the movie. Tonight, Denise and I rented the video.

I am very, very sad.

The Phantom couldn't sing- and his "deformity" could probably have been cured by a good dermatologist. Raoul couldn't act. Christine wasn't awful, but didn't have the presence the role requires. And the changes made in the movie version- especially to the closing scene (or at least what was the closing scene in the stage version; the movie adds a final bit at Christine's grave that would have destroyed the impact of that scene anyway)- just didn't work.

The only real plus was that Denise thought the lyrics were easier to understand in a few places than they were in the stage show.

It wasn't as awful as it could have been. But it could have been so very much better. I know it's a forlorn hope, but somehow I can't help but wish that several years down the road another version of The Phantom might be done.

Maybe with Michael Crawford.

Comments

Indeed, Judy! Of course I remember you, and it's good to be "found!"

How are you and The O'Neill?

One of these years Denise and I will get back to Indian Hills. Or at least visit home again. It's been a long time!