Couldn't have said it better

As a Blackhawks fan, I suppose I should have gotten used to not watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs by now.

But hockey is like a family heirloom to me. My parents courted in the First Balcony of the old Chicago Stadium. My dad was in the stands when Mush March scored the dramatic overtime goal that won the Hawks their second Stanley Cup. We didn' have a pro basketball team in Chicago when I was growing up; Champaign Urbana was far away, Northwestern never caught my interest, and I wasn't Catholic, so college basketball wasn't an option, either. After baseball season came football season. And then came hockey. It was as simple as that.

Admittedly, hockey doesn't televise well- but it remains the most exciting of all major sports, despite its rapid decline from any popularity level sufficient for it to even be considered a major sport anymore.

For which I concur with Dan Wenzel and his thoughts about the two chief villians in my currently hockeyless existence, NHL Commissionor Gary Bettman and the Players Union's Bob Goodenow.

Comments