Let's hear it for Christian "intolerance!"

Voltaire gave the word "tolerance" its classic definition when he said, "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Though most lack the self-awareness to realize it, by that definition nobody is as intolerant as a modern liberal! You see, in today's post-modern society, a new definition of intolerance has arisen. It is regarded as intolerant to disagree with anybody else at all- at least if one insists, at the same time, that the disagreement matters.

I, for one, am glad that people disagreed, say, with Hitler. But that's just me.

Incarnatus Est has an excellent post on why Christianity's "intolerance" is a good thing. When it comes down to it, of course, the same thing can be said of any idea that matters, from Lister's germ theory of disease to the notion that orange juice is more healthful than arsenic.

Hat tip to Glen at Territorial Bloggings.

Comments

ghp said…
Whenever I hear those on the relativist-left invoke the word "tolerance" (by which they usually mean "approval" and/or "agreement"), I think of the line from The Princess Bride:

Vizzini: "INCONCEIVABLE!"
Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

-ghp