See Jane run- her mouth. Again.

Unlike many people, I've tended to have some sympathy for Jane Fonda.

People do stupid things when they're young which they really, really come to regret later. I understand the anger of many at Fonda's Vietnam antics. I especially understand the anger of Vietnam vets, and the hard time they have forgiving her for the things she said about them- and most of all, for her trip to Hanoi, her infamous photo session on the anti-aircraft gun, and her generally boarderline-treasonous activities.

Then, too- as uncomfortable as I was with Fonda's behavior even at the time- I, too, opposed the war in Vietnam. My anger at Fonda could never have been of the same kind as that of the people whom that anti-aircraft gun shot at, who, while languishing as POW's, were made props for propaganda films staring Fonda, or who lost loved ones in Vietnam.

But her remorse has seemed to me to be sincere, and while I can't forgive her on the behalf of those angry vets, I do notice that forgiveness is a non-optional aspect of life as a Christian.

Now, her remorse may yet be sincere. Nor do I equate this with her Vietnam shenannigans. But I were in Fonda's shoes, one thing I'd make it a point to do is to stay as far away from the anti-Iraq war movement as I could. Her association with it, after all, could only hurt that movement- and utterly destroy any ambition she might have of rehabilitating herself in the eyes of the American public. That's especially true of that portion the American public which served in Vietnam.

But Fonda, alas, has decided to tour the country on a bus which runs on vegetable oil, speaking out against the war in Iraq.

My sympathy has found its limit.

Comments