Brethren, this ought not to be

I note with bemusement that the Cubs- who are still below .500, though gaining on it rapidly- are only five and a half games off the pace for the National League Wild Card berth in the playoffs.

Do not misinterpret that observation. I think it's a joke that a team with the record the Cubs have are within five and a half games of the playoffs in September. In fact, I think it brings home something which I very strongly believe: that it's difficult to take baseball seriously as a sport as long as the abomination called the Wild Card exists. In effect, it negates the entire season- the single most valid measurement of a team's worthiness- and opens the gates to the World Series to any second-rate team that happens to get hot at the right time.

Despite my disagreement with the Aardvark, the Cardinals should get a direct pass to the World Series, as should the White Sox.

I may never forgive myself for that last sentence.

But the fact remains- without prejudice to the future- that as far as this year is concerned, it will be a travesty if my personal nightmare doesn't take place, and these two teams- who have clearly proven themselves over the course of the season to be worthy of it- do not (shudder) meet in the Fall-What-Was-Once-A-Classic.

Comments