Good grief!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

How could I have ever admired and supported this man?

Well, actually, I know how. He was, after all, the last pro-life Democratic presidential nominee, and a man who combined my conservatism about such matters with genuine compassion for the poor and an honest and humble approach to foreign policy such as had been so disasteriously lacking in the administrations which governed our nation during the Vietnam era.

But that is in the past. His humility in foreign policy has turned to a fondness for "blame America first" appeasement, and his honesty to petty and malicious partisan nonsense such as the statement quoted in the story to which I linked above. I say this with profound sorrow, but Jimmy Carter has disgraced himself and rendered himself unworthy of anything but the contempt of his countrymen. I am embarrassed to have ever had him as my candidate, and as my President. And that's something I never imagined I'd ever say in a million years.

Comments

Anonymous said…
But one I wish more than I can say that I'd never had to write.

A truly grieve for what Jimmy Carter has become: not merely a petty partisan, but one willing to say the most incredibly malicious and downright silly things imaginable simply to put down George W. Bush. That, and what I always insisted during his presidency that he was not- a naive, fuzzy-headed appeaser.
Anonymous said…
I'm with you Bob--for most of the 80s and 90s I considered Carter the model of what an ex-president should be. But his Bush mania is getting downright bizarre. At the risk of being flip I might suggest that he's mad he doesn't get to be part of the ex-presidents-relief-fund-club.

Cheers--AE
Anonymous said…
I know how you feel Bob. I supported Jimmy Carter back in the day as well. What's that verse... when I was a child I acted like a child... something to that effect.