A nugget of gold from half a continent away

As Denise and I continue to search for a congregation to join, I more and more miss the sermons of my pastor back in Virginia, the Rev. Christopher Esget.

Well, I don't really miss them, because I get them by email every week through the Yahoo! Group maintained for that purpose.

Nevertheless, here's a nugget from this morning's sermon that's pure gold:
Being a pastor has taught me to detest the scent of flowers; their ubiquitous presence in the funeral parlors has transformed them for my nose into the odor of death. I loathe the attempts of our culture to domesticate death, as though we must simply learn to accept it and even embrace it.

Death is our enemy. Death is God’s enemy. This is why Christ came. This is why God Himself took on human flesh and was born of the blessed virgin Mary. The Lord Jesus came to attack and destroy that enemy. In many of the miracles of Jesus, we have seen faith to be an important element. But today there is no mention of it. Jesus does not ask for or need this woman’s faith to raise up her son. Life is restored not by the power of any person’s faith but by the Lord Himself. By the sheer power of His Word is the young man resurrected.


As shall we be, Pastor Esget continues- by the washing of water with the Word.

Comments

As I do a lot of traveling, online sermons and programs like KFUO's Issues Etc. are a real bonus for those who can't make it to church on Sunday. I'm glad you still get to hear your pastor.

I wish you well in a search for a congregation.
Thanks, Dan... but finding somebody as consistently good as Pastor Esget is going to be tough!