That naked wedding guest

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Pastor Picard (an excellent preacher) had an interesting take on this week's Gospel lesson, Matthew 22: 1-14.

The traditional exegesis, certainly in Lutheran circles, is that the "wedding garment" which the evicted guest lacked is the righteousness of Christ, bestowed in baptism and apprehended through faith. Pastor Picard disagrees. Despite the King's surprise at unfit guest's lack of a wedding garment, he points out, that surprise is expressed precisely in amazement that others hadn't seen the problem when the guest first tried to gain entrance into the hall. His unfitness isn't something secret, invisible to any eyes but those of the all-seeing King. Moreover, the text, he points out, ends by saying that "many are called, but few are chosen." Yet it is not "many" who are thrown out of the banquet hall. It is only one.

Or One. Everybody else- "good and evil alike-" gets to stay and enjoy the party. And the Greek word translated "chosen" at the end of the pericope, he observes, literally means "called out." Many are "called," but few are "called out."

Out of the wedding feast? Could it be that we've made the same mistake here that the pre-millenialists make when they misidentify those who are "taken" and those who are left (Matthew 24:40-41)? Could it be that the "chosen-" at least in this parable- are those who are rejected?

Pastor Picard thinks that the Person evicted is Somebody Who lacks not only a wedding garment, but any garments at all (Mark 15:24); who was indeed "speechless" (Isaiah 53-7)- and who was cast out so that the others might remain. Perhaps, he says, we don't get to gloat over having wedding garments while others don't.

The point, he suggests, is not that the hypocrites are gonna get it in the end, while we True Believers party on. The point is that One has borne the unfitness of the many.

I"m not entirely sold on this exegesis, but as I said... it's an interesting take. There are universalistic dangers, to be sure. But then, when you start trying to hedge the Gospel about with protections against universalistic tendencies, you end up compromising the Gospel; it's the nature of the Gospel, after all, to be wholly without conditions.

That's pretty much what the "Evangelicals" have done in turning the gift of salvation into something we earn by making the proper "decision." And it's something which I fear that I myself may have done on occasion when confronted with the presumptive universalism of theology in the ELCA.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, that certainly is the opposite of what I heard this morning! Interesting thoughts, though...
Anonymous said…
The opposite, no doubt, of what you would have heard if I'd preached on this text, too. But like you say, interesting. Fascinating, even.
Anonymous said…
I'm torn between appreciating the points the pastor makes and feeling that "isn't this the same kind of innovatory exegesis that created dispensationalism? that turned the water in John 3:5 into the amniotic sack?"

I mean, if this was the meaning, would Christian pastors have figured that out before?

So I'm undecided whether such innovative reading is valid.
Anonymous said…
Well, as I say, I'm not sure I buy it. However, I strongly suspect, first, that Pastor Picard isn't the first one to come up with this reading by a long shot. In fact, I think I've encountered it before. And it does account for the problems with the traditional interpretation he mentions.

While, again, I'm not sure I agree with his exegesis, I hardly think it's of a kind with Dispensationalism. It plays by the rules. It just comes up with an answer I'm not sure I buy.
Anonymous said…
One more point: Melanchthon's: Any text in Scripture is appropriate fodder for preaching Christ crucified! That doesn't justify Pastor Picard's exegesis, but I think it legitimizes his sermon even if the exegesis is wrong.