Zorn nails it

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When I was nine, the White Sox won the pennant. The city Fire Commissioner- like all of Chicago's political leadership, a Sox fan- set off the air raid sirens. And like all true Cub fans, I was miserable.

Against my better instincts, and at my dad's instigation ("They're a Chicago team, after all"), I rooted for the Pale Hose in their unsuccessful tilt with the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1959 World Series.

Never again. Eric Zorn of the Chicago Tribune explains why.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As a Mets fan, I know all too well that of which Zorn speaks. He's dead right. Since the Angels failed to thwart the Evil Empire today, it boils down to a showdown of epic proportions in Game 5--Good vs. Evil.
Anonymous said…
While I tend not to be a great fan of teams from California (especially those who can't make up their minds what city they represent), there is something almost
apocalyptic about the very names of the teams involved in that series.