The Feast of C. S. Lewis

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I never before realized that C.S. Lewis died on the same day as Jack Kennedy- November 22, 1963.

Kudos, in any case, to the Aardvark for his fine entry on this, Lewis's feast day: his birthday into eternal life.

Denise and I are looking forward to taking our Roman Catholic niece, Maddy, to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when it comes out. Maddy tends to be a little frightened of wild animals- on her one visit to Ashton Observatory, which is located in the woods, she was constantly on the lookout for bears- so we're assuring her at every opportunity well in advance that, in the words of the Beavers, while Aslan isn't safe, he is nonetheless good.

I owe to Lewis my own way of reconciling the notion of hell with the goodness of God- Lewis, that is, and a bumper sticker I once saw while serving my first parish in Webster Groves, Missouri, which read, "Hell is a city much like St. Louis."

I wonder whether God giving those who want nothing to do with Him permission to do that very thing, and allowing people content to remain "turned inward on themselves" to be exactly that for all eternity, isn't finally the essence of perdition- and the most horrible thing of all, of which flames and pitchforks are mere, pale figures.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'ts also my birthday. Jamie Lee Curtis and Rodney Dangerfield were also born on the 22nd!
Anonymous said…
Happy birthday- and may you get much respect and not be terrified by people wearing goalie's masks!
Anonymous said…
Aldous Huxley also bit the big one on the 22nd. As I noted to another IRC chatter last night, it was two Jacks and a Joker.
Anonymous said…
Lewis's _The Great Divorce_ is my favorite thing by him. And I love everything I've read of his, so that's saying something. It is so deep, so powerful, so true, and so beautiful.
Anonymous said…
I also owe much to Prof. Lewis. Been working on a 21st-century American English "translation" of The Screwtape Letters. I know purists are going to howl (and I don't blame them!), but I have a few people who can't deal with the 1940's UK prose, and it bugs me to think that they are missing out on some wonderful spiritual insights. Let me know if you would be interesting in being a beta tester!
Anonymous said…
Sorry, I think people who "can't deal" with English prose from the 19-FORTIES (for crying out loud) just need to suck it up and actually TRY for longer than a half hour. I would never try to rephrase Lewis; his prose is so brilliant, I could only make it worse in the attempt.
Anonymous said…
"Two Jacks and a joker."

I like that!
Anonymous said…
1940s English prose is too arcane? I guess we can forget about Shakespeare, then. Or the King James Version.
What were those synopses we all used to use in college just before finals, of the "great" novels? (And I don't mean Dell Classics either though those helped.)