A public disavowal


Some time ago, I gave an interview to Lee Duigon of The Chalcedon Institute about my experiences with the fudging that goes on with God's Name and self-predication in the ELCA, and the games that are played there with goddess-worship and out-and-out idolatry.

That interview issued in this article, in which some of the things I said are misquoted in significant ways. I am anxious that the record be set straight.

I realize how easy it is for a reporter not conversant with the details of a specific matter to confuse them; I've been there myself. I do not mean to suggest that Mr. Duigon intentionally misrepresented what I said, but I made the distinctions to which I want to call attention plain at the time of the interview. I fully recognize that I, myself, may not have been as clear on some of these points as I thought I was. In any case, concern for the Eighth Commandment requires that I disavow those misquotations, among other places, specifically in this blog, since the article links to it.

I also wish to state, very emphatically, that I do not endorse the theology of The Chalcedon Institute in any way, shape, or form. It seems to have tendencies in the direction of theonomy and other Reformed Fundamentalist false teaching which I very much oppose.

In any event, I have sent Mr. Duigon the following email:

Lee, I just read the article on the webpage. There are a number of items about which I am misquoted, and I think the matter needs to be addressed.

The misquotations and misattributions are serious enough that a think a correction is in order.

First, it was not the Synod Assembly that was stacked in favor of the pro-homosexualists. The Synod Assembly is merely a meeting of representatives of all the congregations in the Synod; such a statement would be meaningless. The report in question was going to be written by the task force the Assembly had voted to have the bishop appoint. The Synod Assembly then overwhelmingly defeated a resolution I sponsored that would have provided that both sides be equally represented on the task force.

A previous such task force in another synod had passed such a resolution, and it was that task force that ended up being stacked in favor of the homosexualists. So, in consequence, was their report.

Secondly, it was not "members of my congregation" whom the bishop told that I valued truth, while he valued unity. It was members of a fellow pastor's congregation whom he told that about their pastor.

As strongly as I feel that the nonsense in the ELCA needs to be addressed and corrected, the statements as they appear constitute false witness against the bishop, and to a lesser extent the Synod and the ELCA. The truth is serious enough, and I think the statement as it now appears on the Chalcedon webpage needs to be corrected- and Bishop ... sent an apology, even as I intend to send him one of my own.

In Christ,
Bob Waters


I have forwarded a copy of this email to the bishop in question, together with my own apology.

ADDENDUM: The article was corrected on Tuesday morning, March 28.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you on behalf of those locked in this ugly battle, a battle not for the survival of the ELCA, but for the souls that have been placed in their care and whom they love very dearly.
You're welcome, Nan.

Craig Nessan of Wartburg Seminary recently wrote a paper which spells out, in detail, exactly the approach to Scripture that is standard in the ELCA.

I sent it to a former parishioner. She sent me back two devotionals on the Pharisees and hatred. Obviously, she didn't read the paper- any more than she's read all the other evidence- ELCA writings and documents, not critiques of them!- I've sent her over the years.

None are so blind...

I'm really skeptical, at this stage, as to whether people who remain in the ELCA differ from that woman in kind rather than degree. But the battle for the souls of the victims of ELCA deceit is well worth fighting. I, myself, didn't have the stomach for it any more; I thank God that some do.

But the fight is for individual souls, not to reclaim an apostate institution. I think it's important to be very clear on that point. Those who try to reform the ELCA will simply end up consumed by the futility of their efforts.

One cannot reason with people for whom the institution is their god.
Anonymous said…
I've read the Nessen paper and am observing closely a discussion of it over at ALPB. You are right about the degree of rot, but I pray for the few who are sounding the alarm, long and loud in hope that there are no "innocent victims" of these heresies.

My children are still in there, something that weighs on my heart every day.

But with God, all things are possible, so I'll not write off the ELCA yet and will continue to pray for those who are fighting in what looks to be "the long defeat".
We have a God who snatched victory from the jaws of defeat once before. I'll settle for the souls of my children.
They are the only reason I still have the strength to raise a sword, but then again, each soul is someone's child, and all, through baptism belong to God.
May he keep safe that which belongs to Him.
Amen. As He has promised that He will.