Same old Doctor!


Just watched my first two episodes of the new Doctor Who, on the SciFi Channel.

The Doctor is in! Like the original series, the writing- and therefore, the quality of the episodes- is uneven in the extreme. The second of tonight's doubleheader- co-starring Charles Dickens- was far superior to the earlier homage to Douglas Adams' The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

As a whole, though, it's great to have an old friend back. Sad to learn, though, that Gallifrey was destroyed in an interstellar war, and that the Doctor is the last surviving Time Lord.

As petty and self-important as that race was, the sci-fi universe is poorer for their passing. Though they live on, of course, in their most worthy example.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's the strangest thing. The more I read your blogg, the more I think your a clone of my father. An ex-Lutheran pastor, LCMSer, Republican who likes Dr. Who, among other things. The interesting thing is that my parents are moving to Desmoines from Portland, Oregon because my mother is becoming a superintendent in the area in about a month. One of my father stated reasons for leaving Oregon is being tired of "hippie crap." Perhaps you will run into them at Church sometime. In any case, I think my Dad's assessment of the new series was similar to your own. I personally watched a number of them back last summer because a friend of mine in the Marquette theology department figured out a way of getting them off the internet and transferring them to DVD. In any case, I actually still prefer the old series because the level of camp. Of what I've seen thus far the special effects are too good. It's highly disappointing.
That's interesting. Maybe I will!

I agree about the camp thing. The humor is a little slicker, and the production values far, far better- which, I agree, on one level isn't especially an improvement.

It's different, to that extent. But I'm not sure that I'll find it as tough as you do to make the adjustment.