Wow!


Channel surfing of an early Monday morning, I have come upon Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close on the Hallmark Channel, reprising Kate Hepburn and Peter O'Toole's triumph in one of my all-time favorite movies: "The Lion in Winter."

Close, surprisingly, is closer (so to speak) to being an satisfactory Eleanor of Aquitaine than Stewart a satisfactory Henry II- as much as I love Stewart.

Regrettably, I am too late to see how Close renders one of my favorite Hepburn lines: "Of course he has a knife! We all have knives! It's the Eleventh Century; we're barbarians!"

Comments

RC said…
I didn't even know that they made a remake of Lion & Winter...

seems kind of sad...but maybe it's not.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com
Close also starred in a remake of "South Pacific" that I never heard anything about. It, too, just turned up one day on the TV a few years ago. I suspect it was another of those Hallmark presentations.

I wish, in any case,that their showings were either better advertised or the movies themselves more widely available.