A special moment comes tomorrow night...


A member of my astronomy club just posted the following to our club email list:
TIME AND DATE ALERT:

On Wednesday of this coming week, at two minutes and three seconds after one o'clock in the morning, the time and date will be:

01:02:03 04/05/06.

That won't ever happen again.

You may now return to your normal stuff..

Stay up for that moment. Savor it. Ponder its significance.

To think that, out of all the eons, it will happen in our lifetime...



ADDENDUM: As Eric Phillips, PhD points out in the comments, that guy in the astronomy club was not only wrong, but quite obviously so- and I missed it.

That special moment comes once every century.

Doh!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, if you miss this chance, you can always fly to Europe next month and celebrate the "01:02:03 04/05/06" event with them on May 4.
Anonymous said…
You do a very nice job with this blog, Bob, lots of variety and interesting stuff which keeps a blog from getting mundane and predictable.
Anonymous said…
Actually, it will happen again on the same day--12 hours later.
Although--did anyone consider daylight savings time? In which case, the time appointed will have already occurred by the time is does indeed occur.
Pardon me while I adjust my tinfoil...
Anonymous said…
i will observe the brief 01:02:03 04/05/05 with a moment of silence. if you exclude snoring.
Anonymous said…
Ooooh! BOB! I have CHILLS. Like Calvin said to Hobbes, when he his beanie arrived in the mail: "This is cool I have to go to the bathroom!"

I'll be up here in Eastern Time. Prolly reading some sci-fi.
Thank you, Diane.

Actually, Katie, what you say is true- but only for civilians.

What an historic moment to be in the military!
Anonymous said…
Yep, just like I thought I would be, last night (this morning) I was reading Larry Niven's and Steven Barnes' Saturn's Race. This afternoon I was sequencing hymns for tonight's service, so it slipped past me.

What were you doing?
Rummaging through the fridge- and remembering about three minutes too late to marvel.
Anonymous said…
It will also happen in 2106, and every century thereafter.
Good point, Eric. I'll have to point that out to our astronomy club.