Spirtual pick-up lines

Several years ago, the sister of a woman I was dating- a lapsed Lutheran (well, ELCAn)- explained in my presence that, "I'm not religious- but that doesn't mean that I'm not spiritual."

I wonder why she ever left the ELCA...

Well. The Corner, the blog of National Review Online, has been featuring a thread by Jonah Goldberg on what he calls "Voodoo Atheists-" alleged "rationalists" with no time for conventional religion, who are nevertheless willing to entertain any whacked-out superstition you can imagine, as long as it doesn't mean that they have to believe in the Christian God.

It seems that my ex-girlfriend's sister has provided me with an extremely effective pick-up line on college campuses and environs.

It's probably just as well that my Old Adam didn't realize it.

Oh, the banality of the pseudo-sophisticate!

Comments