Save the McNeil River brown bears!

The decision to allow the brown bears- protected for decades, and so tame that they have absolutely no fear of human beings- on Alaska's McNeil River State Wildlife Sanctuary to be hunted is nothing less than disgraceful.

Ok. I admit that I personally don't see the sport in hunting. I've only done it once (for coyotes, in rural Nebraska), and frankly I hated it. Killing things simply does not give me, personally, a thrill, and in fact the idea of doing it for fun gives me the creeps. But I do not condemn hunters out of hand- and especially those who, like deer hunters here in Iowa, hunt for meat (even meat they don't strictly need as a part of their diet). Even trophy hunting, where animals have a chance to make use of their normal instincts and survival skills, is something I can understand.

But where is the sport in shooting tame bears? I would think that hunters themselves would be up in arms about this particular proposal. Anybody who would participate in such a "hunt" would be somebody I would think real hunters- sportsmen- would be embarassed to have numbered among them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
To paraphrase Daffy Duck; "Thats dispicable". Sorry for the over-spray. Shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind. I mean, as bad as his jokes are I could never shoot Fosi Bear. It's almost as bad as eating dogs. I hunt for fish, but I do it in a kayak in the ocean and I only keep legal fish and eat every one of them. I admit to obtaining some sort of primal satisfaction in the "hunt" but at least I'm consciously aware of my food chain status on earth involes me more with God's creation than a MacDonalds drive through. I talk to each fish I catch, sometimes apologising to them. Couple years ago a whale surfaced about 100 yards from me. Good thing I'm not plankton.
Anonymous said…
You are right-on in your point of view in this hunt!
MR