Schumer: No more conservative justices will be confirmed

When President Clinton nominated radical ACLU lawyer Ruth Bader Ginsberg to the Supreme Court, Republicans recognized a president's constitutional right to appoint any qualified person he pleases, regardless of ideology- and voted to confirm her without a fight.

Democrats famously refuse to extend the same courtesy to Republican judges.

And now, Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) has made it official: no more Sam Alitos will be confirmed. Democrats- now in the majority- claim the right to dictate to the President of the United States the ideology of his appointments to the Court.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I might be concerned, except I know that conservatism isn't the answer to our problems.

Jeff G
Don't play dumb, Jeff. Judicial interpretation of the Constitution is not the point of the post on conservatism as a political philosophy, and you know it.

Bottom line: Your own position has effectively safeguarded Roe. Hope you're proud of yourself!
Anonymous said…
I don't know about proud, but I take my vote seriously. I didn't want any responsibility for what either Debbie Stabenow or Michael Bouchard were likely to do while in office, so I didn't vote for either of them.

The gentleman I did vote for, Dennis FitzSimons, would support judges who's Judicial philosophy would correct Roe v. Wade.

Jeff G
But had no chance of winning. You wasted your vote on an existential gesture- and you're responsible for the consequences. Not what I'd call "taking your vote seriously," my friend!

Including squandering the chance to confirm a judge who would have given the Court a conservative majority until the next Republican administration.