Upon further review...Fred Thompson for president!

A few weeks ago, after agonizing long and hard over the field of prospective Republican presidential candidates, I endorsed Mitt Romney. Today, I find myself in the awkward position of having to unendorse him- not because of anything he's done or said, but because something major has changed.

For many years, I've believed that the best man to lead both the Republican party and the nation was somebody unlikely to run: former Tennessee Sen. Fred Dalton Thompson. His abrupt departure from public life in 2002- some believe that personal grief over the death of a daughter was the reason- seemed to make a Thompson candidacy unlikely. Despite how deeply Sen. Thompson impressed me, it seemed to me that we were going to have to look elsewhere for the leadership I've long been convinced he could provide as none of the other candidates could.

Yesterday I learned that Sen. Thompson is actively considering a presidential candidacy. I mean no disrespect to Gov. Romney, whom I continue to believe would make a fine nominee and a fine president. But now that the man who has been my first choice for the 2008 nomination ever since he spoke out for the cause of letting Florida's electoral votes in 2000 be counted for the man for whom the majority of its (real, living, legal) voters had, in fact, voted- George W. Bush- with a cogency, power and effectiveness unmatched by the many others who helped fight the same fight is considering a run, I feel that in conscience I have to line up behind the man I honestly believe would make the very best president we could elect in November of next year.

So embarassment aside (and Romney "flip-flop" jokes as well), I'm casting my lot with Fred Thompson. I hope you'll join me.

I really believe that this man can make a difference. While it's still taking form, I've taken the first steps toward a second blog, "Iowans for Fred Thompson."

IT's getting late in the game- but hopefully not too late to wage a winning battle between now and the Iowa Caucuses.

Comments

Eric Phillips said…
It would be wonderful to have another conservative and _articulate_ President. I'd never heard of Fred Thompson before, I fear, but I like what I'm reading here and at your other site.