Belated bad news

I guess it happened back in January, but I just learned of the demise of WGMS-FM radio in Washington as a classical music station. It was my default dial setting during the months when I lived in the D.C. area, and got me through all those night shifts for Pinkerton at the Northrop-Grumman Independence Center in Chantilly.

WGMS is apparently now a sports talk station. WETA is said to be picking up the slack as the classical station in the Washington area. I understand, though, that it's omitting "All Things Liberal" and the other standard NPR shlock in favor of basically all classical music, all the time.

Sounds good in theory. How is it going in practice, Washington-area people?

Comments

Eric Phillips said…
Yeah, WETA's gone to an all-classical format now. I think that's how it used to be some time ago too, when I first came to DC. Unfortunately, this has had the result of me not listening to it anymore. I used to listen to Marketplace and the News Hour on my drive after work. Now I'm listening to ESPN radio. So instead of being up on the Stock Market, I'm up on the NBA. Weird shift.