Obama retakes the lead

Despite the McCain surge after the convention, Obama is back on top in the polls.

Sadly for the country, I expect he'll stay there. While I don't want to demoralize the side, I have no doubt that Bush fatigue will determine the result of this election, and the dynamics were never right for an upset in the first place. Curiously, I don't think the unprecedented bias in the coverage of the campaign by the MSM will have much of an effect; poll after poll shows that the electorate recognizes it, and refuses to be affected by it.

But I'm afraid that we're about to see a well-qualified and honorable candidate defeated by the worst-qualified major party nominee in modern history. Such, alas, is the way political cycles work.

But I still think Obama will be a one-term president, less because of his own inexperience than because the problems he'll face would be insoluable even for a president who was qualified for the job. So, too, are political cycles.

Barack Obama, I expect, will be the second Jimmy Carter in more ways than one.

Comments