A hero lets me down

I'm deeply disappointed in Colin Powell's decision to endorse Barack Obama.

The "inclusivity" he attributes to the Obama campaign, is, of course, wholly illusory- as we will see all too well in the next four years, as his hard Left administration goes out of its way to squelch and stigmatize dissent in any way possible.

That Obama is more "ready" to be president that Sarah Palin is a judgment call concerning which I disagree with Sec. Powell.

That Obama has "style" I do not deny. It's the substance that scares me- and frankly, I'm amazed that Sec. Powell would vote for a man willing to pull the rug out from under our troops in Iraq. Surprised- and very, very disappointed.

Colin Powell should have been our first African-American president. He could have united the country in a way that Obama, given his ideology and history, simply cannot. A case can even be made that Powell owed it to his country to undertake that burden. That, however, is a matter between Powell and his conscience.

Suffice it to say that this is not a responsibility to America and to history that can be simply handed off- and certainly not to Barack Obama.

But however much I respect Powell's conscience, my respect for his judgment has just taken a major hit.

Comments

Carl Vehse said…
In his appearance on “Meet the Depressed” Colin Powell claimed that he was not endorsing 0bama because of his race.

In an email Rush Limbaugh wrote, “OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I’ll let you know what I come up with.”
Carl, my respect for Sec. Powell makes me reluctant to call his word into question. I accept that consciously race was not a factor. But the fact is that whatever one might think of Rush, his argument has weight.

The notion that the color of Barak Obama's skin played no role at any level in Powell's decision to endorse him is a hard sell.