Why do I bother?


I said last October that as far as I was concerned, the Cubs season would begin next October. Winning a third consecutive division championship and then losing in the first round of the playoffs doesn't cut it this year. I'd just as soon they not make the post season at all.

Despite my satisfaction with the Trib's apparent decision to sell the team to lifelong Cub fan Tom Ritter, as far as I can see the team has essentially gone backward since they broke our hearts in the playoffs- a rather familiar pattern for Chicago sports franchises at the very moment when they ought to be doing whatever it takes to get to the next level. The Jake Peavy deal is apparently dead once and for all,, and for what can't be all that much of a financial difference they've decided to sign Paul Bako instead of retaining Henry Blanco as their backup catcher.

Mark DeRosa, one of their most dependable players not only during the regular season but during the October meltdown, has already been given away to Cleveland for prospects who will probably be of no help this year.

Not for the first time in the fifty-two seasons I've rooted for the Cubs, I'm beginning to wonder why I bother.

Comments