The nirvana of my childhood is passing away


When I was little, Chicago still had its wonderful Riverview amusement park at Belmont and Western. But the place I always looked forward to visiting was a much smaller and less elaborate venue- Kiddieland, out in Melrose Park.

Tragically, this icon of my youth is closing due to a family dispute after more than eighty years.

I often wish that I lived back in Chicago again. Today I'm wishing it more than ever. I'd really like to pay the place one last visit. I really regret the times I drove past the place on previous visits, never bothering to stop and relive those joy-filled evenings when I was small and the world was simple.

From the minature railroad (amazing how big a deal it was to me back then!) to the thrilling aroma of manure at the pony rides (somehow that smell will always have wonderful associations for me), Kiddieland was the one place in the world which I identified with happiness back in the days when I was a little tyke. And once again, I am reminded that I am getting old.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When I was a kid (I'm 36 now), my step-grandfather took me to Kiddieland a couple of times. He lived in Riverside. It was a really fun place for a small kid! I probably should take my seven-year-old son there this summer, before it's gone forever.