Fifteen inches of 'welcome to winter'


Usually winter is polite enough to ease its way in on us, with a light dusting or two of snow, a few moderate snowfalls- and then, if at all, the Big Stuff.

Not this year in Des Moines (pictured at the left). Just a few weeks ago we were worrying that it wouldn't seem like Christmas because the weather was too warm.  Now we've gotten 15 inches of snow in the last 48 hours. Welcome to winter!

I fought my way through the blizzard home on foot last night. It wasn't easy, to say the least. Church has been cancelled for tonight (though with a little shoveling I really think we could have gone ahead. Well, to be honest, a lot of shoveling.).  Maybe if I time my midnight stop at the local grocery right, the nice folks there will give me a ride tonight.

If I'd had any supplies laid by at home, it probably would have been a good idea to have stayed there today. It takes a couple of days for a city the size of Des Moines to recover from a storm like this, and even then many sidewalks will remain unshoveled and walking conditions will be less than ideal. Makes me wonder why I don't live in Arizona.

Comments

Jaedyn said…
Where do you live?
I'm from Boston, so I know what you mean!
Des Moines- that city in the picture on the left.

I grew up in Chicago, though. Lake effect. Now that is a town that knows snow. We had a 27 inch storm when I was in high school, and a 32 inch storm a decade or so later, when I was finishing college.