The game is afoot


I saw Sherlock Holmes yesterday. Despite my initial reservations about Robert Downey, Jr. in the role, the movie was superb. See it! You won't regret the two hours plus you'll invest in the experience.

Needless to say, Downey's Holmes is a bit of a departure from the norm- as is Jude Law's wise-guy interpretation of Dr. Watson. The banter between the two is a bit more of what one would expect from equals than discourse between a genius and his chronicler, and the great detective's physical (and especially pugilistic) skills are more prominent than in most portrayals. But fans of the canonical Holmes will absolutely recognize their hero in Downey's surprisingly convincing portrayal, which includes an homage to the flies-and-violin scene from the second Basil Rathbone-Nigel Bruce film.

I understand that Holmes, rather than Avatar, came out on top in boxoffice over Christmas. While I haven't seen Avatar yet, by all accounts this says a great deal for Holmes- and what it says is true. Again, by all means see it! I myself am looking forward to the sequel whose eventual coming the film telegraphs, pitting the great detective against.... well, wait and see.

Comments