A headline guaranteed to get the article read

I did a double take this morning while reading the Des Moines Register- not, as usual, while scanning the editorial page, but while perusing the news section.

One of the articles on the second page was headed, 'CHINCHILLA EXPECTED TO WIN PRESIDENCY.' I instantly smelled a rat. At first, I assumed that I'd misread the headline. But no. It read the same the second time as the first.

Then I assumed that it reported some frat boy joke somewhere, though I couldn't imagine why a student government election  deserved such prominent coverage. When I actually read the article, however, I learned that Laura Chinchilla was leading in her race to become Costa Rica's first female president- a race she eventually won.

Never assume.

ABOVE: Not the president-elect of Costa Rica.

Comments