Good-bye, Little Guy!


After a brief illness that I (and his vet) thought was under control, my Rainbow Benti Uromastyx, Muad'Dib (center) joined his childhood companion and former cagemate Atvar (left) on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge last night. I lost Atvar last October.

This morning Muad'Dib was stiff and unresponsive, and I couldn't get him to open his mouth to take his medicine. A trip to the vet and an ultrasound to check for a heartbeat confirmed my impression that Little Guy was gone.

Muad'Dib shared some of the darkest months of my life with me when my ex-wife and I first separated, as well as later, when we actually divorced. He moved to Washington, D.C. with me on the first ocassion, and, together with Atvar, moved with me to another appartment on the second. He was the one companion who's been with me through thick and thin in recent years, in good times and in bad.

The more than eight years I had Muad'Dib and Atvar were greatly enriched by their companionship. It'll be strange not hearing that scratching noise they made when they moved around in their cages, and stopping at the produce department for greens when I go to the grocery store, and knowing the companionship of friends who make so few demands and, even without knowing it, give so much.

Rest well, Atvar. Be at peace, Little Guy. I'll miss you both.

Comments