Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco


The sports betting site Bodog still lists the Blackhawks as the favorites, at 11-2, to repeat next year as Stanley Cup champions. But I"m having a hard time being as optimistic as I once was now that we've lost Versteeg, Ladd, Burish, Byfuglien, Frasier- and now, Antti Niemi.

The Hawks signed veteran Marty Turco today- a move which makes signng Niemi, whom an arbitrator had awarded $2.75 million for next year, financially impossible. Niemi now becomes an unrestricted free agent who- needless to say- will have no trouble getting even more from somebody, and probably rather quickly.

I wasn't convinced that Niemi, at this stage in his career, was ready to win a Stanley Cup. He proved me wrong. The question now is whether Turco- who has not been a bad goalie in the past, but who is a bit long in the tooth- can fill his pads next year.

I'm not optimistic. The Hawks will contend for the Cup again, and I'm gratified to see that they're still considered the favorites in some quarters to repeat. But the loss of Niemi represents one more blow to their chances for a successful defense of Lord Stanley's mug.

Comments