I'm disappointed in you, Morgan Freeman

What on Earth does Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have to do with the Tea Party? And what has he ever said or done that merits this? 

I was very much afraid when President Obama was elected that the pattern we saw so often in the campaign would continue throuighout his presidency,and that any and all opposition to him or his policies would be automatically written off to racism. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by how seldom this has happened. But it especially disappoints me when a man like Morgan Freeman, whom I have always regarded as a reasonable and intelligent gentleman, resorts to this kind of thing.

Granted, there are racists among the Tea Party people- a group of which, as readers of this blog know, I am not a fan. But to indict the entire movement as racist is just plain irresponsible. And to drag Mitch McConnell
(rather than people like Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin, who at least are identified with the movement) into the equation is ridiculous.

This is the kind of irresponsible, over-the-top rhetoric we've been forced to put up with from both sides of the political spectrum during the last three presidencies, and it's torn this nation apart. It has to stop. And  it always disappoints me when prominent actors- especially ones I respect, whose work I enjoy- make asses of themselves by ill-informed, bizarre political rants like Mr. Freeman's.

There are enough whack jobs mouthing off about things they know nothing about, Mr. Freeman- including the Tea Party folks. I had expected better from you.

Comments