Barnabas Collins lives!

But then, vampires never die, do they?

Johnny Depp, Chloƫ Grace Moretz, Helena Bonham Carter, Eva Green, Michelle Pfeiffer and Christopher Lee... such a cast! I'm delighted that a new generation gets to meet the Collins clan, whom my whole generation rushed home from high school to watch in the world's first Gothic soap opera back in the 'Sixties.

Given the current popularity of precisely this kind of romantic vampire yarn, it's only fitting that the current generation should get to experience it, too. And with a cast like this, how can it miss?

I have to admit, though, that the notion of Helena Bonham Carter in Joan Bennett's role is a bit odd.

When my former wife and I were first married, we rented the videos and watched them one after another. Sidney, her orange winged amazon, actually began whistling the theme song after a while!

The film will premiere May 11. I can hardly wait! I'm sure Depp will be a worthy successor to Jonathan Frid.

Comments