The desecratin' of the green


Just left Court Avenue after my yearly corned beef and cabbage dinner, washed down with one Guinness and one Bushmill's (I feel an obligation to support the local distillaries of County Antrim, whence the Waters- or Uisgi (Hiskey), in the Irish- spring. "Irish Spring." See what I did there? Never mind).

Anyway, while there, I was stunned by the number of people who apparently think that it is appropriate to display the green in combination with yellow and the insignia of a certain obnoxious professional football team from northern Wisconsin, thereby desecrating the color with which this day is associated.

Tsk, tsk. Doubtless St. Patrick- who, being on the side of the angels, is obviously a Bears fan- is spinning in his grave over in Grandma's home town, Downpatrick.

ADDENDUM: Yesterday- April 14- I overheard the miscreant in question tell a fellow patron at the Central Library that he was from Liverpool. I guess that explains his wearing a Packers jersey on St. Patrick's Day.

One last piece of Limey contempt for my ancestors!

Comments