I'll Have Another won't, and that's too bad


I was hoping that the unconfirmed report earlier today that I'll Have Another had been scratched from the Belmont Stakes was mistaken. Alas, not so.

Ok, this isn't a tragedy quite in the vein of what happened to Ruffian or Barbaro, but today's announcement that the Triple Crown hopes of the horse who captured the imagination of America have been dashed by a flairup of tendonitis on the eve of the Belmont Stakes has to sadden everybody, horse race fan or not. Having won both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, I'll Have Another was favored to win the last jewel in the Triple Crown as well.

Now, we'll never know. The horse has been retired literally on the eve of a shot at making history.

I generally only pay attention during the Triple Crown, but I, for one, am bummed out. This horse will still have his place in history. But I'm sure it's a place its owners and fans would rather have seen him avoid.

HT: Drudge

Comments