Y'think?!


Every time I think American folk religion has hit rock bottom in its ongoing quest to turn the sublime and ultimately important into the tacky and frivolous, it surprises me anew.

On one hand, I am gratified that leaders of the United Methodist Church are calling for an end to the practice of online Communion. On the other hand, I cannot possibly imagine how anyone, anywhere, ever thought that it was a good idea.

I realize that the theology of most Protestants trivializes the Sacraments. I also realize that the so-called "mainline" denominations have been hemorrhaging substance from their proclaimation and practice for a very long time. But the lines between trivialization and blasphemy, between cluelessness and self-caricature, between bad taste and intellectual incoherence seem fuzzier in the minds of doubtless well-meaning folks in far closer touch with the culture than with the Gospel than I can even comprehend.

HT: Real Clear Religion

Comments