Skip to main content

Iowa Republicans prepare to lose in 2016

Well, that poll I mentioned is out now, and the news is indeed bad- but not in the way I thought it would be.

Ted Cruz has a ten-point lead over Donald Trump. Now, I'm certainly glad to see The Donald get his comeuppance.  But it's Ted Cruz, a man with a personality so petulant that he's effectively destroyed himself as a U.S. Senator, and a conservative so extreme that he has only a marginally better chance to beat Hillary than does Old Tribble Head.

Bob VanderPlaats, the head of a pro-family group here in Iowa, has endorsed Cruz. While I give VanderPlaats credit for his work in the fight against marriage redefinition and other issues in this state, he is, to say the least, a bit extreme. And unfortunately, he speaks for what is probably a majority of Republicans in a state in which Republicans are considerably to the Right of the party nationally, just as Democrats are considerably to the Left of theirs.

The results:

Ted Cruz: 31% first choice, 20% second choice (Total: 51%)

Donald Trump: 21% first choice, 14% second choice (Total: 35%)

Ben Carson: 13% first choice, 14% second choice (Total: 27%)

Marco Rubio: 10% first choice, 14% second choice (Total: 24%)

Jeb Bush: 6% first choice, 5% second choice (Total: 11%)

Chris Christie: 3% first choice, 3% second choice (Total: 6%)

Mike Huckabee: 3% first choice, 5% second choice (Total: 8%)

Rand Paul: 3% first choice, 3% second choice (Total: 6%)

John Kasich: 2% first choice, 2% second choice (Total: 4%)

Carly Fiorina: 1% first choice, 4% second choice (Total: 5%)

Rick Santorum: 1% first choice, 2% second choice (Total: 3%)

Jim Gilmore, Lindsey Graham and George Pataki: Each 0% first choice, 0% second choice

Not sure: 4% first choice, 4% second choice (Total: )

Uncommitted: 3% first choice, 3% second choice (Total: )

No first choice: 7%

My own preference is Jeb Bush first, and Marco Rubio second. It's beginning to appear more and more that Rubio is the only candidate acceptable to me who has a chance in Iowa.

Bob VanderPlaats, the leader of the major "pro-family" group in Iowa, has endorsed Cruz. Like the general run of conservatives in these polarized and extreme times, he vastly overestimates the number of like-minded people in either the state or the nation. Either Cruz or Trump would be crushed by Hillary Clinton in a landslide. Neither has any realistic chance of carrying Iowa in the general election.

This is alarming because this is an election the nation cannot afford to have the Democrats win. Yet rank-and-file Republicans, both here and in the nation generally, seem determined to lose it.

HT: Drudge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McMullin, Kasich, Hickenlooper, Huntsman, or somebody else sane in 2020!

I don't expect to be disenfranchised in 2020. I'm looking forward to Evan McMullin running against President Trump and whatever left-wing extremist the Democrats nominate. McMullin may or may not run for the Senate next year, and he may or may not run for president as an independent again next time around, but the nation can't afford to lose its most eloquent and intelligent critic of the populist takeover of the Republican party and the Executive Branch. We need the man in public life.

But interesting alternatives have developed. Ohio Gov. John Kasich has been mentioned as a potential primary challenger for Mr. Trump. I hope somebody continues the fight for the soul of my former party, even though I believe it to be a lost cause. Entrepreneur Mark Cuban is reportedly also considering a challenge to Mr. Trump. While I tend to see him at this point as somewhere to the left of where a candidate I would feel comfortable supporting might be, I would wish him well. Still, I see…

A modest proposal for a shocking innovation which is completely within the rules but which would, if adopted, revolutionize college football

I call it defense.

The idea- crazy as it may sound- is to supplement the scoring of points by your offense with an attempt to stop the other team from scoring them. Yeah, I know.  Really "out there," isn't it? But it has a history of winning not only games but championships. Modern college teams should try it more.

I'm a bit bummed about the Rose Bowl outcome but amused by the score. It seems that certain conferences aren't sure whether they're playing college football or high school basketball! I've noticed that in the scores of Sooner games. Last season the nation's college teams set a record by scoring an average of slightly more than 30 points each per game. That's a lot. Historically, that's a REAL lot.

The final score of the Rose Bowl was 54-48, though to be fair that was in double overtime. But to get there, the teams had to be tied 45-45 at the end of regulation! Last year was even worse. Southern Cal beat Penn State 52-49- in regulat…

Reflections on the present and future of my Blackhawks

As this season from hell creeps to its close at an excruciating pace and makes all of us devote more of our attention to spring training for the Cubs than we otherwise might, there are calls for the heads of Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman and even the greatest coach in Blackhawks history, Joel Quenneville.

No general manager or coach could have made Marian Hossa and Corey Crawford healthy or prevented Toews and Keith and Saad from having the worst seasons of their careers or foreseen that a series of trades most of which made perfect sense at the time wouldn't pan out. The Hawks are one season removed from the second-best regular season in their history. This will be the first time in a decade that they haven't made the playoffs.

With the exception of the Pens, maybe the Kings and (for different reasons) the Golden Knights, every other team in the NHL would kill to have won three Stanley Cups in the past decade. In fact, only the Hawks, the Pens, the Kings, the Wings, and the Brui…