Skip to main content

A crucial week in the campaign is ahead of us

FiveThirtyEight now has Hillary with only a 60% chance of being elected, as opposed to 40% for Il Duce. 

Nate Silver is unsure whether the unmistakable Clinton slump is an aberration or something she should worry about. It seems clear that Clinton's physical health is of concern to voters; Trump's mental health has not been as conspicuously at issue as usual.

In any case, Silver says that if the race still looks like this a week from now, the Democrats (and thus, though he doesn't say this, anyone planning to survive the next four years) should be worried.

A prediction: should a demonic miracle occur and the Trumpmeister somehow win, there will be a schism in the Republican party and a new opposition party of real conservatives and traditional Republicans will be born.

Meanwhile, I'm told by sources in the McMullin campaign that the candidate is ahead of Jill Stein in Virginia and that he's beginning to show up in other polls. The trouble is that omitting McMullin from the polls becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: people won't take him seriously as long as they're told, in effect, that people don't take him seriously. This is ironic, because as an anti-Trump traditional Republican McMullin has a much larger potential base than either Stein or Libertarian Gary Johnson.

McMullin's strategy is to finish third in the electoral vote and throw the election into the House. There, plenty of Republicans who don't like Trump and Democrats who don't like Hillary might be tempted to choose McMullin, who served as an aide to House Republicans and is quite well known personally to the membership. It's a longshot, of course, and will continue to be one as long especially as the polls continue to insist on excluding him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McMullin, Kasich, Hickenlooper, Huntsman, or somebody else sane in 2020!

I don't expect to be disenfranchised in 2020. I'm looking forward to Evan McMullin running against President Trump and whatever left-wing extremist the Democrats nominate. McMullin may or may not run for the Senate next year, and he may or may not run for president as an independent again next time around, but the nation can't afford to lose its most eloquent and intelligent critic of the populist takeover of the Republican party and the Executive Branch. We need the man in public life.

But interesting alternatives have developed. Ohio Gov. John Kasich has been mentioned as a potential primary challenger for Mr. Trump. I hope somebody continues the fight for the soul of my former party, even though I believe it to be a lost cause. Entrepreneur Mark Cuban is reportedly also considering a challenge to Mr. Trump. While I tend to see him at this point as somewhere to the left of where a candidate I would feel comfortable supporting might be, I would wish him well. Still, I see…

A modest proposal for a shocking innovation which is completely within the rules but which would, if adopted, revolutionize college football

I call it defense.

The idea- crazy as it may sound- is to supplement the scoring of points by your offense with an attempt to stop the other team from scoring them. Yeah, I know.  Really "out there," isn't it? But it has a history of winning not only games but championships. Modern college teams should try it more.

I'm a bit bummed about the Rose Bowl outcome but amused by the score. It seems that certain conferences aren't sure whether they're playing college football or high school basketball! I've noticed that in the scores of Sooner games. Last season the nation's college teams set a record by scoring an average of slightly more than 30 points each per game. That's a lot. Historically, that's a REAL lot.

The final score of the Rose Bowl was 54-48, though to be fair that was in double overtime. But to get there, the teams had to be tied 45-45 at the end of regulation! Last year was even worse. Southern Cal beat Penn State 52-49- in regulat…

A third party President in 2020?

I had the pleasure of meeting Joel Searsby, the campaign manager for Evan McMullin last year, at an event for Evan here in Des Moines during the campaign. Here's an interview with Joel by Jon Ward of Yahoo News on the ways in which centrist French President Emmanuel Marcon's out-of-nowhere landslide election last year may serve as an example for the inevitable bid to elect a rational, moderate third party candidate in 2020.

I have a feeling that it will be Evan McMullin again. But names like John Kasich, the Governor of Ohio, and Sen. Lindsey Graham also keep popping up. Word is that Kasich may challenge President Trump for the 2020 Republican nomination, an endeavor in which I'd wish him well but hold out very, very little hope for his success. I sadly expect that my conviction that the Republicans are dead as a vehicle for rationality and the reuniting of our fractured and divided country to be confirmed by the easy renomination of the most unfit and unqualified preside…