Mike Lee on the GOP in the Age of Trump

FiveThirtyEight herein interviews Sen, Mike Lee, who did not endorse President Trump but is now one of the less consistent opponents of the president among prominent members of my former party.

I'm grieved to hear him say that it's too early to consider a primary challenge to the president. It just reinforces my impression that the Republican party as we know it is dead. If by this point we don't know whether there will be a challenger in the primaries in 2020,  the party has lost its soul.

Although I should say that I'm confident that Ted Cruz will challenge President Trump. Whether a more palatable candidate (to me) like Carly Fiorina or Marco Rubio might emerge I don't know. But I have my doubts. I continue to believe that the future of the conservative movement lies outside the GOP, probably in a coalition including Stand Up Republic and the Evan McMullin people.

Comments