The Senate grants the Internet a reprieve, but it still faces ruin in the House

The Senate has voted 52-47 to overturn the FCC's decision to enable ISP's and search engines to turn the Internet into a mechanism of thought control or an arena for payoffs by giving preferential treatment to some users and websites rather than others.

The House is expected to sustain the FCC's odious decision, however. Both of my senators, Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst, have enjoyed my strong support before. Neither has had the courage to stand up to the current occupant of the Oval Office, and both voted against keeping the internet free of such manipulation today.

Neither improved the prospect of my voting for them again by doing so. Given the degree to which they have supported President Trump, my working for their re-election was already off the table.

I had planned not to bother voting in November. I believe that the Republican party needs to be punished for its embrace of Trump, but I am no fan of the left-wing nuttiness of the Democrats, either. However, should my congressman, David Young, vote to sustain the FCC's decision, as I expect, that will provide a powerful incentive for me to show up at the polls just to vote for his Democratic opponent. In fact, since the House will probably sustain the FCC rule, it will probably be a major issue in the battle for control of Congress all over the nation. I encourage you, in any event, to contact your congressman and encourage him or her to stand up for freedom of expression and the fair competition of ideas on the Internet.

Nor should Gov. Kim Reynolds necessarily expect the support of this particular ex-Republican, although I have a generally favorable impression of her. I certainly haven't ruled out voting for her, but neither have I ruled out voting for her opponent. She, like every other Republican, will no longer be able to count on an inclination to vote Republican because of my social conservatism from here on out. They will have to compete for my vote- and given the way in which they have thus far acquiesced in the takeover of the party of Lincoln and Reagan by Know-Nothings and nut jobs, they are starting in a deep, deep hole. 

Comments