Mr. Trump throws down the gauntlet

Our clueless president has cast November's election as a referendum on himself.

That's exactly what it is. of course, and everybody knows it.  But the unpopular Mr. Trump did his party and its congressional candidates no favor by pointing it out.

I got a mailing today from my Republican congressman, David Young. He seems to think that I'm still a Republican. He tried to motivate me to give him money by holding before my eyes two frightening words: "Speaker Pelosi."

Sorry, David (that's what he wants us to call him). While those words are indeed scary, "President Trump" are two far scarier words- and by embracing Mr. Trump you effectively eliminated any chance of my voting for you again in November. Donald Trump needs to go down and go down hard. And so does any politician or political party that supports him. That's the only way there is even the slightest chance any time soon of our nation having an honorable and worthy party to oppose Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats instead of the sorry, unprincipled gaggle of sycophants and hypocrites calling itself by the once proud and honorable name "Republican."

I had planned to simply stay home on election day. But today, Mr. Trump has thrown down the gauntlet. and I just might have to pick it up. Maybe, David, I'll have to go to the polls after all in November- and vote for your opponent.

Mr. Trump bragged today that he and his administration have accomplished things that we "don't know about." Perhaps- and I shudder to think what they might be. One thing I know for certain: the accomplishments he brags about have a strong tendency to exist only in his own mind, and in minds gullible enough to take him seriously.

Comments