Wow.

I just happened to mention in a Facebook group I belong to that I thought Hobby Lobby was putting Christians in a bad light by keeping their stores open during the pandemic and tempting God by saying that He would protect everybody in the store from getting COVID-19 there.

Apparently, merely the mention of Hobby Lobby was enough to set somebody off. Well, I guess I did mention that the First Amendment rights of Hobby Lobby's owners not to have to pay for insurance for things that they believed for religious reasons were wrong were one thing- after all, anyone who had a problem with that could always work elsewhere- but that this was very different.

Before I knew what was happening, I was savaged for being a Missouri Synod Lutheran and in some way (I'm not quite sure how) associated with Jonestown and told that the group was a "safe space."

Fortunately, the administrators intervened appropriately. And I'm rather proud of myself for keeping my cool, more or less. Unlike the lady in question, I don't mind being disagreed with. But wild, unsupported statements and personal attacks just don't make for a constructive conversation.

It never ceases to amaze me just how alike the psychology and tactics of the fanatics at both ends of the political spectrum can be, and how intolerant both are of any opinion with which they disagree and anyone who holds it. And there are so many of them these days that it scares the living daylights out of me.

Comments