Enough.


Though the presidential election is still up in the air, I'm calling it quits for the night.

The fact that America didn't decisively repudiate Donald Trump and Trumpism despite four years of incompetence, hate-mongering, stupidity, and general indecency dismays me more than I can say. We seem to be a far stupider and more mean-spirited country than I ever dreamed, and regardless of who wins the presidency, I can't find words for how demoralized I am tonight.

I wonder whether the American experiment can survive this night. I really do. In fact, I fear tonight that it may at long last have failed.

That's probably all I should say tonight. Hopefully in the morning, refreshed, I'll feel better. But I really don't think my perspective is going to change much.

I am wondering tonight whether there's any point in bothering. If America hasn't learned its lesson after the last four, miserable years, I doubt that it ever will.

I weep for my poor, deluded, seduced, and idiocratic country.

Comments