Mixed blessing

I don't believe in baseball's wild card.

Yes, it increases interest in what for years have been miscalled the "pennant races." Yes, it makes things more exciting- at least for some. But the best test of a team continues to be the long haul of the regular season. No post-season series- or series of series- comes close. The current set-up merely rewards mediocre teams which happen to get "hot" at the right time.

In my view, a team which finishes the regular season with a record inferior to any other team which has played the same schedule has no business being eligible for the world championship.

Now. That having been said, my Cubs now lead the National League wild card race.

For the Cubs to win their first world championship since 1908 as a wild card team is a kind of nightmare of mine. In my view, a wild card team that wins the World Series is at best a "cheese champion."

I want the Cubs' World Series championship to be for real.

Go get those Cardinals, Red Sox!

Comments

I'm a Cubs fan. I've had pennant fever all my life.