Isles snatch Nabokov from the Wings. Whew!

I got a fright this week when I read that Evgeni Nabokov had left Russia to play for the Red Wings.

The dude is a pretty good goalie, and- as fond as I am of Antti Niemi- I personally would not have let Nabokov walk in order to sign him, as the San Jose Sharks did. I was stunned that nobody claimed him on waivers when they did. But it's a big relief that the Islanders have claimed him, thus keeping him away from Daytwah.

Nabokov would have been the best goalie the Wings have had since Dominic Hasek. The thought of their having him between the pipes with their present roster is frightening.

Of course, Nabokov is no Corey Crawford. Hawks 3, Wings 1 after two... and don't be surprised if, despite the hits the Hawks took due to the salary cap and their slow start, with Corey in goal they make a spirited run at repeating as Stanley Cup champs.

ADDENDUM: Final: Champs 4, Wings 1. Two goals for Kopecky.

ADDENDUM II: Apparently Nabokov is refusing to report to the Isles. Stay tuned for further developments.

Comments

MM-2011 said…
Gode damn he's a coward. Can't even report to the Isles... I'm glad he didn't sign with Detroit, that would have been Halvat lennot!
I take it that would be a bad thing?